Once again, we have enabled online registration. The online process will allow to pay online with a debit card, credit card, electronic check, make payments (requires payment by credit/debit card) and pay in person. Online registration will allow us to communicate with you better and reduce the amount of paperwork you have to fill out and we have to keep. For registration you will need the following:
- About 10-15 minutes to setup your account or login with your information from a previous year and register your skater(s).
- Register with USA Hockey to get a USA Hockey number for each skater you are registering. You need to register every year with USA Hockey. This fee is NOT included with your Sparta Hockey Registration.
- Register with SYHA
- Your skaters information (name, birthday, etc.)
- Your health insurance information
- Your contact information (email, phone, etc.)
- If your skater is a first time player with SYHA, you will need to provide a physical copy of their birth certificate to SYHA.
General SYHA & Hockey Information
All hockey practices and home games will take place at the Sparta Ice Arena, 1121 E. Montgomery, Sparta, Wisconsin (next to the golf course) unless otherwise specified. Away games will generally take place within the communities less than 50-70 miles away including the following communities: Tomah, La Crosse, West Salem, Onalaska, Black River Falls, Viroqua, La Crescent, Neillsville, and Winona. The hockey season runs from mid-October to mid-March for the Mite, Squirt, Peewee, and Bantam teams. This is about 20-22 weeks of hockey practice and/or games which averages out to be between $2 and $6 per 1 hour of practice.
As a SYHA hockey member, you receive access to the following:
SYHA has full protective equipment (other than mouth guards and protective cups) and skate available in most sizes at no cost for the use of all SYHA hockey players. A $50 deposit check is required, which will be returned when the gear is turned in. So there is little investment in gear needed to play hockey!
- Free admission to open skate. Open skate is family oriented skating, no hockey gear.
- Free admission to open hockey. Open hockey is all ages hockey, requires full hockey gear.
- Free admission to high school hockey games played in Sparta. Mite, Squirt, Peewee and Bantam levels need to wear their jerseys.
Hockey Levels & Age Ranges
Your skater's level is dependent on their birth year.
Learn to Skate:
This includes up to 6 sessions lead by USA Hockey Certified coaches and volunteers.
Mini Mites & Mites/8U:
Girls and boys, birth years 2012 to 2016. Registration includes: 2 practices per week, 1 local mite jamboree (located in Sparta) and other jamborees around the area as skaters are available to play. This registration costs about $2.50/practice.
Girls and boys, birth years 2010 and 2011. Registration includes: 3 practices per week, 1 home tournament, 1 away tournament and local games (approximately 20-25 per season). Opportunities for away tournaments are available at an additional cost as agreed upon by coaches and parents. This registration costs about $4/practice.
Girls and boys, birth years 2008 and 2009. Registration includes: 3 to 4 practices per week, 1 home tournament, 1 away tournament and local games (approximately 25-30 per season). Opportunities for away tournaments are available at an additional cost as agreed upon by coaches and parents. This registration costs about $5.50/practice.
Girls and boys, birth years 2006 and 2007. Registration includes: 3 to 4 practices per week, 1 home tournament, 1 away tournament and local games (approximately 30-35 per season). Opportunities for away tournaments are available at an additional cost as agreed upon by coaches and parents. This registration costs about $6.15/practice.
Program for high school aged players birth years 2002 - 2005 not participating in WIAA hockey. Interested? Contact us
. SYHA does not currently have a Midget program, but if there is a larger interest, we will get a program running or find one for you.
SYHA is a volunteer run organization. This engages our hockey families and allows us to keep our registration fees low. Every season (Sept to March) each SYHA family is obligated to volunteer at least 20 hours. Your volunteer hours can be earned by:
- Helping with rink startup and takedown tasks
- Working concessions during high school games and home tournaments your skater is not part of
- Working registration during high school games
- Working penalty box during home tournaments your skater is not part of
- Working during open skate
- Working at SYHA events i.e.: Christmas Market
- Coaching (we're always looking for coaches!)
- Board member meetings
on volunteer hours.
Fund Raising Expectations
It is expected each SYHA family fund raise for the organization. Raffle/fund raising events vary from year to year and ther are typically more than one. If you have suggestions on activities or items which work for other sports you've been part of, please let us know
Below are the guidelines for SYHA families. You are asked to write a check for at least the amount below at the beginning of the season. The check will be returned when the sold fundraising items (tickets, cards, etc.) and money are returned.
- 1st year Mite families 5 tickets or $100
- Returning Mites 10 tickets or $200
- All other levels 15 tickets or $300
on fund raising expectations.