Registration begins on September 12, 2017. This year we have enabled online registration. The online process will allow to pay online with a debit card, credit card, electronic check, make payments (requires payment by credit/debit card) and pay in person. Online registration will allow us to communicate with you better and reduce the amount of paperwork you have to fill out and we have to keep. For registration you will need the following:
- About 10-15 minutes to setup your account and register your skater.
- USA Hockey number for each skater you are registering. You need to register every year with USA Hockey.
- Your skaters information (name, birthday, etc.)
- Your health insurance information
- Your contact information (email, phone, etc.)
- If your skater is a first time player with SYHA, you will need to provide a physical copy of their birth certificate to SYHA.
General SYHA & Hockey Information
All hockey practices and home games will take place at the Sparta Ice Arena, 1121 E. Montgomery, Sparta, Wisconsin (next to the golf course). Away games will generally take place within the Wisconsin Minnesota Hockey League (WMHL) including the following communities: Tomah, La Crosse, West Salem, Onalaska, Black River Falls, Viroqua, La Crescent, Neillsville, and Winona. The hockey season runs from mid-October to mid-March for the Mite, Squirt, Peewee, and Bantam teams. This is about 20-22 weeks of hockey practice and/or games which averages out to be between $2 and $6 per 1 hour of practice.
As a SYHA hockey member, you receive access to the following:
SYHA has full protective equipment (other than mouth guards) and most skate sizes available at no cost for the use of all SYHA hockey players. A $50 deposit check is required, which will be returned when the gear is turned in. So there is little investment in gear needed to play hockey!
- Free admission to open skate every Saturday from 5:30pm to 7pm. Open skate is family oriented skating, no hockey gear.
- Free admission to open hockey every Friday from 6:30pm to 7:30pm. Open hockey is all ages hockey, requires full hockey gear.
- Free admission to high school hockey games Squirt, Peewee and Bantam levels need to wear their jerseys.
Hockey Age Ranges & Levels
Your skater's level will depend on what their birth year is at the time of registration which is typically September.
Mini Mites & Mites:
Girls and boys, birth years 2009 to 2013. Registration includes: 2 practices per week, 1 local mite jamboree (located in Sparta) and other jamborees around the area as skaters are available to play. Registration averages out to /practice.
Girls and boys, birth years 2007 and 2008. Registration includes: 3 practices per week, 1 home tournament and participation in the WMHL league game schedule. Opportunities for away tournaments are available at an additional cost as agreed upon by coaches and parents. This registration costs about $1/practice.
Girls and boys, birth years 2005 and 2006. Registration includes: 3 to 4 practices per week, 1 home tournament and participation in the WMHL game schedule. Opportunities for away tournaments are available at an additional cost as agreed upon by coaches and parents.
Girls and boys, birth years 2003 and 2004. Registration includes: 3 to 4 practices per week, 1 home tournament and participation in the WMHL league game schedule. Opportunities for away tournaments are available at an additional cost as agreed upon by coaches and parents.
Program for high school aged players birth years 1999 - 2002 not participating in WIAA hockey. Interested? Contact us
. SYHA does not currently have a Midget program, but we can direct you to an area program if interested.
SYHA is a volunteer run organization. This engages our hockey families and allows us to keep our registration fees low. Every year (Sept to March) each SYHA family is obligated to volunteer at least 20 hours. Your volunteer hours can be earned by:
- Helping with rink startup and takedown tasks
- Working concessions during high school games and home tournaments your skater is not part of
- Working registration during high school games
- Working penalty box during home tournaments your skater is not part of
- Working during open skate
- Working at SYHA events i.e.: Christmas Market
- Coaching (we're always looking for coaches!)
- Board member meetings
on volunteer hours.
Fund Raising Requirements
Each SYHA family is required to fund raise for the organization. Raffle tickets vary from year to year. If you have other suggestions, please let us know
! You will be expected to write a check to cover the cost below and the check will be returned when the sold raffle tickets and the money is returned to your parent rep. Below are the guidelines:
- 1st year Mite families 5 tickets or $100
- Returning Mites 10 tickets or $200
- All other levels 15 tickets or $300